SIGN UP FOR POSTSCARD'S MORNING NEWSLETTER

The best stories of the day, in your inbox

Kerala Boy Dies From Amoebic Meningoencephalitis After Swimming in Pond

amoebic meningoencephalitis

A 14-year-old boy in Kerala succumbed to amoebic meningoencephalitis, a rare brain infection caused by a free-living amoeba found in contaminated water, according to state health officials. This marks the third reported fatality from the infection in the state since May.

The boy, identified as Mridul, was undergoing treatment at a private hospital in Kozhikode but passed away on Wednesday night. Health department sources revealed that Mridul had likely contracted the infection called amoebic meningoencephalitis after swimming in a small pond, prompting authorities to initiate preventive measures in the area.

This incident follows the deaths of a five-year-old girl from Malappuram and a 13-year-old girl from Kannur, who tragically succumbed to the same infection in May and June, respectively.

What is Amoebic Meningoencephalitis

Amoebic meningoencephalitis is a severe illness that occurs when the amoeba enters the body through the nose while swimming or diving in contaminated freshwater. The infection is extremely rare, and fatalities are high.

Naegleria fowleri, often referred to as the “brain-eating amoeba,” thrives in warm freshwater environments like ponds, lakes, and rivers. It enters the human body through the nose and travels to the brain, causing primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), a condition with a mortality rate of 95-100%.

Kerala’s health department has urged caution, advising people to avoid swimming in stagnant or unclean water bodies. Medical experts recommend using nose clips while swimming in freshwater sources, especially during the monsoon season when the risk of contamination might be higher.

The recent spate of deaths has highlighted the importance of public awareness about this rare but deadly infection.

The community mourns the loss of young Mridul, and authorities are committed to preventing further tragedies by enhancing safety protocols and educating the public about the risks associated with Naegleria fowleri12.


This article aims to inform and raise awareness about the dangers of amoebic meningoencephalitis and the importance of water safety. If you have any further questions or need more information, feel free to ask.

The Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) is a groundbreaking project that promises to

The highly anticipated sequel to the 1996 vigilante action film

Google Pixels haven’t always been perfect, occasionally suffering from fundamental

Indian ride-hailing giant Ola has switched gears in its navigation

Assam’s flood situation continues to be critical, with over 24.5

The Zika virus has been in the news in recent

Motorola has officially unveiled the Razr 50 Ultra in India, and it’s

Bajaj Auto, the renowned Indian two-wheeler manufacturer, unveiled the world’s

Pakistan’s Punjab province is proposing a six-day ban on social

London, July 5, 2024: Keir Starmer, the leader of the UK’s

Apple announced a suite of features designed specifically for Indian

Hurricane Beryl tore through the southeastern Caribbean islands earlier this

In yet another incident raising concerns about infrastructure safety, a

Veteran BJP leader and former Deputy Prime Minister Lal Krishna

In a significant diplomatic engagement on the sidelines of the

In a tragic incident that has raised questions about civic

In an embarrassing security lapse for the US Navy, a

Kenya erupted in violence on Tuesday as protests against a

The Karnataka government has taken a firm stance on food

The iconic Ram Janmabhoomi temple in Ayodhya faced an unexpected

In a nail-biting encounter plagued by rain interruptions, Afghanistan scripted

Meta is bringing its artificial intelligence (AI) assistant, Meta AI,

Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi), the capital market

As heavy monsoon rains continue to lash parts of Sikkim,

Get ready for a futuristic battle royale experience! Popular mobile

Get daily updates in your inbox. Subscribe to our newsletter.