SIGN UP FOR POSTSCARD'S MORNING NEWSLETTER

The best stories of the day, in your inbox

Science, World

NASA’s OSIRIS-REx Returns with 121.6 Grams of Asteroid Bennu Sample

asteroid bennu

(Houston, TX) February 17, 2024 – Dust off your textbooks, space enthusiasts! While the OSIRIS-REx spacecraft itself touched down on Earth last September, news of its precious cargo is still sizzling hot. After meticulous counting and analysis, NASA has confirmed that the intrepid explorer brought back a whopping 121.6 grams (4.29 ounces) of asteroid material from Asteroid Bennu, exceeding initial expectations by double!

This haul, the largest ever returned from beyond the Moon, wasn’t just a lucky scoop. Remember the nail-biting moments when the sample container wouldn’t budge? Well, those pesky stuck fasteners may have caused some spillage, but perseverance (and a little ingenuity) prevailed. Through careful extractions, scientists managed to coax out an additional 51.3 grams, adding to the previously measured 70.3 grams and scattered bits.

What is Asteroid Bennu?

But what exactly is this cosmic bounty? Bennu, a near-Earth asteroid, is thought to be a pristine time capsule from the early days of our solar system. Studying its dust and pebbles could unlock secrets about how planets formed, the origins of water, and even the potential ingredients for life!

“This is a historic moment for science,” declared Dr. Dante Lauretta, OSIRIS-REx principal investigator. “The Bennu sample represents a treasure trove of information waiting to be unlocked, and it has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of the universe.”

So, where are these extraterrestrial treasures now? Safely tucked away at the Johnson Space Center’s special curation lab, the samples are undergoing rigorous analysis. 70% will be preserved for future generations of scientists, while the remaining 30% will be distributed to international collaborators, opening doors to global scientific exploration.

The journey doesn’t end here. While OSIRIS-REx zooms towards its next mission, scientists on Earth are busy dissecting the Bennu bounty. Their findings promise to rewrite textbooks, ignite imaginations, and perhaps even answer the age-old question: are we alone in the universe? Stay tuned, space fans, the adventure is just beginning!

Key Takeaways:

  • OSIRIS-REx brought back 121.6 grams of asteroid Bennu material, exceeding expectations.
  • The sample holds potential clues about planet formation, water origins, and the possibility of life.
  • 70% of the sample will be preserved for future generations, while 30% will be shared internationally.
  • Scientific analysis is underway, promising exciting discoveries about our solar system’s history.

The Kannada film industry mourns the loss of a legendary

In a significant move, India has imposed fresh restrictions on

The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has unveiled the final

Tragedy struck the northeastern region of Oman as flash floods wreaked havoc,

In the spirit of Ram Navami, the sacred city of

Tragedy struck the serene waters of the Jhelum River in

In a significant development, Iran Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian has

Meta, the social media giant, has officially rolled out its AI

In a strategic move aimed at bolstering its network capabilities,

The post-apocalyptic world of “Fallout” has come alive on the small screen,

In a shocking incident early Sunday morning, two unidentified assailants

In a significant shift of fortunes, Samsung has dethroned Apple

A tragic incident unfolded in Vancouver as a 24-year-old Indian student, Chirag

The Ajitsingh Nagar police have taken a significant step by

The Ministry of Commerce and Industry has issued a crucial advisory to

The Jallianwala Bagh massacre of 1919 remains etched in history

Amid escalating tensions in the Middle East, the United States

Tragedy struck the bustling city of Sydney today as a

The highly anticipated big-budget Ramayana film, starring Ranbir Kapoor, is

The United Kingdom has significantly increased the minimum income required

PM Narendra Modi, in a groundbreaking move, recently engaged with

Ashneer Grover, the co-founder and former managing director of BharatPe, is

A resurgence of whooping cough, a highly contagious respiratory illness,

The Andhra Pradesh Board of Intermediate Examination (BIEAP) has officially declared

In a significant breakthrough, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) has apprehended two

Get daily updates in your inbox. Subscribe to our newsletter.